Something that is feared by many people is a possibility for gas explosions. Although these are very rare, as they only occur a couple times a year in the United States, it still is something that you should be concerned about. There are some steps that can be taken in order to avoid the problem and to help protect you and your family from issues that would cause you harm. Here are a few of the things that you should keep in mind when you have natural gas in your home which will keep you as safe as possible.
First of all, you should familiarize yourself with the equipment that is in your home and learn how to recognize if there are any problems. You should know where the natural gas shut off valve is located, regardless of whether it is manual or automatic. You should also know if you have an excess flow valve installed, as this can also help to protect your property by restricting the flow of gas if there happens to be a gas line rupture.
It is also a good idea for you to recognize some of the different issues that can result from carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill you or at the very least, will make you quite sick (Source: Carbon Monoxide Inspection by MB Services). If your appliances are no longer producing a blue flame but it is yellow, you should contact a carbon monoxide detection company, as well as having your appliances fixed. Other signs of potential carbon monoxide problems include black soot around your appliances, dead plants or any animals that have recently passed away unexpectedly.